For Your Safety
Security at Saint Peter’s
Security officers are located throughout the hospital for your safety. Staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the Security Operations Center may be reached by dialing extension 6010.
Cell Phone Use
The use of cell phones can lead to malfunction of electronic patient-care equipment, and may seriously harm a patient. Help us keep all patients safe by only using a cell phone in the hospital while in the designated areas.
Fire drills are conducted regularly. In the event of an actual fire, the hospital will follow fire response procedures to ensure the safety of patients, visitors and staff. In the event of an emergency, dial 112 from any in-hospital phone.
Saint Peter’s University Hospital is a smoke-free environment. Smoking is not permitted in the main hospital or in other Saint Peter’s Healthcare System facilities. In the interest of the health of our patients, visitors, employees and volunteers, we appreciate your cooperation in observing Saint Peter's no-smoking policy.
Smoking is permitted in the designated smoking area located adjacent to the hospital’s main parking deck.
For your safety, our nurses will show you around your room and other nearby areas. We want to help you prevent falls.
- We will assist you to the bathroom. Please use the call bell to let us know. Remember to use the handrails in the bathroom, as needed.
- Your bed should be kept in a low position with its brakes locked at all times.
- Change positions in your bed slowly.
- Stand up slowly. Sit with your feet on the floor for a couple of minutes before standing.
- When sitting, begin by lowering yourself slightly and touch the chair or bedside behind you. This assures you are close enough to sit.
- Footwear should be properly fitted, non-skid and used appropriately. Avoid over-sized slippers that may get in the way of walking safely.
- Report spills immediately so that we may clean them up.
- Call for assistance if you need to get out of bed during the night.
- Remember to turn the light on if the room is dark.